I have wonderful news to report.

I am finally able to build GCC 3.4.6 for MVS using the normal
build process.

There is still a lot of extra i370-specific utilities to e.g. generate
compile JCL, but these are completely separate scripts so not
intrusive at all.

Here's all the changes I have made to 3.4.6, including the
extra i370 stuff, and including the generated files like insn-*.c.

http://rapidshare.com/files/307362433/gccnew-beta72.zip

And here's the file of more interest - much smaller:

http://rapidshare.com/files/307366004/gcc-change.zip

that contains just the changes to common files.  There are 78
files in total that have been changed.  Almost all of the changes
are quite small.

I am now in a strong position to do 2 things:

1. Experiment with changes to the build procedure, because I can
easily check that the whole thing still works (it takes 2 hours to do
an end-to-end test, so I see the results in the morning etc).

2. Replicate the same thing on GCC 4.

I'll work on number 1 first, as I haven't put the external name remapping
into the suggested place yet.  And I haven't incorporated that (external)
remap-generation into the build process either.

Hopefully by the time I've finished that, someone can suggest precisely
what autoconfigure changes would be best for (2), thinking especially
of a config-by-prototype option.

BFN.  Paul.