Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> There are good C++ coding standards out there, and I would be reluctant
> to encourage a NIH-driven design as opposed to adapting existing ones
> that have been given lot of considerations:
>
>    http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq2.html#coding-standard
>    http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/JSF-AV-rules.pdf
>
> certainly there are elements there that are use for us to consider.

I've already asked if someone wants to volunteer to put together coding
standards.  I'm happy for that to end up being some set of coding
standards that already exist, whether Bjarne's, Google's, or whatever.
I don't have any inherent desire to invent a completely fresh set of
standards.

On the other hand, as Bjarne says, the right subset is dependent on
context.  We're not in a safety-critical environment, we have a large
existing C codebase, and we have a developer team made up of experienced
C programmers, not all of whom are used to programming in C++.  So, we
need to take those factors into account.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery