Geert Bosch wrote:

> If we're just going to get some new power tools for our workshop
> and let people have at it, the lessons we'll learn might end up
> being more about what not to do, rather than a show case of their
> effective use.

That's why we're not doing that.  Instead, we're going to determine what
subset of C++ we're comfortable using, and then we're going to let
people propose ways of using that subset.  Nobody's suggesting letting
people run around using their favorite C++ features in random ways.

This is a chicken-egg thing.  We couldn't reasonably ask people to start
proposing ways of using C++ without knowing that the SC would allow it
to be used.  Now we've got that approval, and now people can suggest uses.

I've already implicitly suggested one, namely, using single inheritance
to implement the tree data structures, thereby avoiding casts up and
down the hierarchy.  Including, for example, declaring a routine that's
supposed to take a DECL as taking a tree_decl&, instead of just a tree *.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery