Andreas Neumann wrote:
Thank you very much - problem solved. There was an indeed an old version
of libgdal around (gdal1.5.2 - also self-compiled under /usr/local/lib)

The strange thing is that the svn trunk version reports as older
(libgdal.so.1.12.0) even if it is newer than gdal1.5.2, which reports as
libgdal.so.1.12.2

Andreas,

This is because the svn versioning information for shared libraries is
not normally "set" until release time (ie. 1.6.0) so it is basically just
a clone of what it was for 1.5.0 release time.

I could bump the version now in svn but I will almost certainly forget
I did so at 1.6.0 release and bump it again.  I suppose version inflation
isn't really a terrible thing.  I'll go ahead and do that.

Best regards,