Riki Tiki wrote:
@Frank and Hermann: Thanks a lot!

My other question is as follows:

1) gdal_translate -of AAIGrid a.tif a.asc

it creates the following: a.asc (ASC File), a.asc.aux (XML Document), and a
(IDL project file)...

Riki,

Not that the .prj file is not an IDL project file, it is an ArcGIS
projection file.

now to do the reverse i do the following:

2) gdal_translate -of GTiff a.asc a.tif

it creates: a.tif (TIF Image)

but when i open a.tif with ArcGIS it shows that its statistics are not
calculated...

Can you tell me how to create the 2) with statistics already computed? So
that when i open it in ArcGis for example I do not have to ask ArcGIS to
compute the statistics? Thanks a lot!

If you use a recent enough version of ArcGIS the following *might*
precompute the stats in a useful fashion for ArcGIS.

  gdalinfo -stats a.tif

Best regards,