for tcmalloc do you need master? this recent release seems to have CMake
https://github.com/gperftools/gperftools/releases/tag/gperftools-2.15

Of course, I do not mean to force the usage of it. But could be a
suggestion in case we do not find anything better and a user has problems.
Or a way to inspire later research.

For us it is definitely helping.

Cheers,
Javier

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 at 14:59, Even Rouault via gdal-dev <
gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> [...]
> build from master since the latest tagged version doesn't build with CMake
> on Windows. But then nothing happens when linking tcmalloc_minimal.lib
> against my toy app. I probably missed something.
>
> Anyway I don't really think we can force tcmalloc to be used in GDAL, as a
> library. Unless there would be a way to have its allocator to be optionnaly
> used at places that we control (ie explicitly call tc_malloc / tc_free),
> and not replace the default malloc / free etc, which might be undesirable
> when GDAL is just a component of a larger application.
>
> Disabling entirely the block cache (or setting it to a minimum value) is
> only a workable option for uncompressed formats, or if you use per-band
> blocks (INTERLEAVE=BAND in GTiff language) and not one block for all bands
> (INTERLEAVE=PIXEL), otherwise you'll pay multiple time the decompression.
> Le 21/03/2024 à 14:38, Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND
> APPLICATIONS INC] via gdal-dev a écrit :
>
> +1.  We use a variety of hand-rolled VirtualAlloc based (for basic tasks,
> a simple pointer bump, and for more elaborate needs, a ‘buddy’) allocators,
> some of which try to be smart about memory usage via de-committing
> regions.  In our work, we tend to disable the GDAL cache entirely and rely
> on the file system’s file cache instead, which is a simplification we can
> make but is surely untenable in general here.
>

> *From: *gdal-dev <gdal-dev-boun...@lists.osgeo.org>
> <gdal-dev-boun...@lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Abel Pau via gdal-dev
> <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org> <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org>
> *Date: *Thursday, March 21, 2024 at 4:51 AM
> *To: *"gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org" <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org>
> <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org> <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org>
> *Subject: *[EXTERNAL] [BULK] Re: [gdal-dev] Experience with slowness of
> free() on Windows with lots of allocations?
>

> *CAUTION:* This email originated from outside of NASA.  Please take care
> when clicking links or opening attachments.  Use the "Report Message"
> button to report suspicious messages to the NASA SOC.
>

> Hi Even,
>

> you’re right. We also know that. When programming the driver I took it in
> consideration. Our solution is not rely on windows to make a good job with
> memory and we try to reuse as memory as possible instead of use calloc/free
> freely.
>

> For instance, in the driver, for each feature I have to get or write the
> coordinates. I could do it every time I have to, so lots of times: create
> memory for reading, and then put them on the feature, and then free... so
> many times. What I do? When opening the layer I create some memory blocs of
> 250 Mb (due to the format itself) and I use that created memory to manage
> whatever I need. And when closing, I free it.
>

> While doing that I observed that sometimes I have to use GDAL code that
> doesn’t take it in consideration (CPLRecode() for instance). Perhaps it

  • ... Even Rouault via gdal-dev
    • ... Javier Jimenez Shaw via gdal-dev
      • ... Abel Pau via gdal-dev
        • ... Uhrig, Stefan via gdal-dev