Here's an (ahem) extremely important discussion on the prospects for xarray
to extend from the coordinates-only model (like that of netcdf) for geo
reference:

https://discourse.pangeo.io/t/example-which-highlights-the-limitations-of-netcdf-style-coordinates-for-large-geospatial-rasters/

I'm heartened to see this recognized at this level. I think GDAL per se
should feature in this discussion prominently, and not just the downstream
Python packages that are mentioned.

For my input, I'll be highlighting examples of

-  degenerate rectilinear coordinates, and the problem of whether to assign
a regular grid there (with a trivial lightweight Translate a la -a_ullr),
or to define a new regular grid and push it through the Warp api, as a
dataset that picks up or can be pointed to the 1D coordinate arrays. This
has been the crux of the issue for me, I get to decisions where it's not
clear what was intended or what should be done going forward.

- actual curvilinear coordinates, and the very very general power of that
to resolve to a regular grid with very simple specification (specify some
or nothing of target/extent/resolution/crs/dimension). Key problems here
are when the coordinate arrays are not auto-detected (rare) or when the
longitudes are unwrapped (less rare).

- that extent+dimension is complementary to the affine transform, and way
more user-friendly way to work with rasters for the assign and/or target
specification step (this is huge in R since the {raster} package ca. 2009
and very well supported by Warp and Translate). It's true that
extent+dimension can't do shear params but it's a perfectly valid way to
work and flipping from transform to extent is trivial numerically.

I hope some more voices from this community pitch in as well, very happy to
discuss here or offline about any of this.  I'm not really a technical
expert but I have a good overview of the landscape that GDAL sits in, and
I'm making similar pitches for involvement in the R communities.

Cheers, Mike

--
Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer