Emma, I agree with Julie that glass holds humidity pretty well. R. ciliatus doesn't have a real high requirement for humidity, however, and does do well with good airflow. I have cresteds in vertically-oriented glass aquariums with screen tops, and I have one in an all wire-mesh enclosure. They all do really well, but one thing I have noticed is that the one in the mesh, despite misting him at least once a day, sometimes has difficulty shedding (the toepads mostly). A quick soak helps get the leftover skin off. Since I've NEVER had a problem with airflow in the glass aquariums with screen tops, and since they do look really nice, maybe that's the best idea.

Good luck with your cresteds! They're a wonderful gecko, easy to care for, and very rewarding! I love mine. Just had my second clutch of eggs hatch last week, too! Let us know how it goes!

Rick Gale

----Original Message Follows---- From: Julie Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [gecko]enclosure/tank Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:43:52 -0800

Greetings! Not sure if you are Ta or Em! ;) I always favor planted glass enclosures for tropical type geckos. Helps keep the humidity in. Screen cannot accomplish this unless you have a humid room. This one should be vertically oriented, and bigger is always better.

Julie B.

Emma Lomax wrote:

G'day

I am planing on getting crested geckos over the summer. I was just wondering peoples views on which type of enclosure works best for them and their cresteds- the glass tank type or the mesh enclosures?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each for both me and my geckos??

Ta
Em

p.s-Really sorry about the boring, basic sounding question but i am a complete beginner and i really want to get it right first time!!

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1! (Limited-time offer) http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&pgmarket=en-us&ST=1/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/