Hi, I've been using geeqie for many years and think its the best image program
on linux bar none.

Over this time i've noticed a few things which could be improved and i'd like
to make some suggestions

1: webp support

It would be nice to have webp support in geeqie, mainly because it's an open
source format and it produces the smallest file sizes for lossless images,
better even than jpeg 2000 lossless or hvec still image.

2: multithreaded image rendering and thumbnail generation

Geeqie has issues rendering large images, for example on my 4.2ghz quad core i5
I can see the individual passes performed on the image for smoothing and zoom
on a 9k image, only one cpu is running at 100% the others are idle. I know some
image decoders can't be parallelized but it would be nice to have it for jpg
and maybe png. Maybe you could even use the GPU to render the images (if the
driver supports it).

The biggest problem is switching between images when zoom is at 1:1 or zoomed
in rather than fit to window. Swapping between two 9k 8MB lossy jpgs or lossles
pngs when zoom is at 1:1 with mouse-wheel takes 14 seconds!! on a 4.2ghz core.
When zoom is at "fit to window" it changes almost instantly (minus noticeable
smoothing passes). I would go as far as to say this is a bug since changing
between "fit to window" and 1:1 on the same image is instant but changing
between images (whilst staying at 1:1) takes an age. Using the "preload next
image" does not help either.

Creating thumbnails (if they are not cached on disk for privacy reasons) takes
ages for large files in folders with many images, this process could easily be
made multi-threaded by partitioning the files relative to number of cores and
generating thumbnails in their own thread.

3: jpeg 2000 lossless rendering issues for large images (8-9k)

eg. If I open a folder containing 2 jp2 lossless 9k images, it takes 11 seconds
to display the image and another 20 seconds to generate the thumbnails for the
two images using one of my 4.2ghz cores. This applies regardless of zoom level
or "fit to window"

With jpeg 2000 you can not switch to another image by clicking on its thumbnail
for about 5 seconds AFTER the image has rendered for some reason, it's just
unresponsive and CPU is at 100% on one core.

4: get bit depth

I can not see anywhere where you can determine the image bit depth (8bit 10bit
12bit 14bit 16bit) etc. Does geeqie actually render images in 10bit (if GPU
driver and display supports it) or is it only sampled at 8bit? Unless the
bitdepth is specified in the exif info I can't see where you can find what it
is.  The pixel info RGB numbers only go up to 255 even on a 10bit tiff  image
which is strange. It says color profiles not supported, dunno if this is
related to this issue or not.

5: privacy mode or ability to turn off history

In order to prevent geeqie remembering any history I had to make the
.config/geeqierc.xml immutable and edit the source code to disable the history
saving function and recompile. Otherwise the last_path is updated, It would be
nice to turn it off in geeqie rather than resulting to hacks.

6: Support for converting images

I know geeqie is an image "viewer" first a foremost but it would be nice to
have a save button to convert files to a different format , you only need make
geeqie issue command line calls to the 3rd party conversion binarys like
cwebp,image_to_j2k,zopflipng etc. rather than implementing the encoders in
geeqie which would be allot of work.

7: remember image rotation by writing info to exif of image

When you rotate images in geeqie there should be an option to write the new
orientation to the images exif info. When loading the image at a later date
geeqie will use the info in the exif so you don't need to keep rotating the
same images every time you want to view them. This would also be better than
reencoding the image with the new orientation as this is not usually lossless.
I have enabled the "auto rotate image using exif information" option but when
changing the orientation and using "apply the orientation to image content"
option it does not seem to remember the orientation even though the
modification time stamp of the image is changed. Maybe this is a bug or I am
misunderstanding the "apply the orientation to image content" feature but i'm
guessing it's because I compiled without exiv2 support.

8: abilty to set zoom %

Sometimes you may want to zoom in on a feature of an image to make it fill the
whole screen but the zoom in/out steps can be too large to make it fit
perfectly, it would be nice be able to manually set the zoom percentage to make
it fit perfectly.

9: find and delete duplicate or similar files

There is a "find duplicates" feature but it requires manually dragging files to
compare them, this is infeasible when you have a folder for hundreds of images
and you want to detect and delete duplicates and often just looking at them
visually is quicker. It would be nice to have a find duplicates and delete
button that scans all the images in a folder, finds duplicates or images over a
specified similarity threshold and deletes all but one of them (keeping the
highest resolution/quality/file size version), I know there are 3rd party tools
that do this but it would be nice to have this integrated into geeqie.

10: abilty to adjust color curves and save as preset

This is a killer feature you could pinch from GIMP. Many images require color
correction to look good (especially bland outdoor images). The ability to
adjust color curves and then save the present and associate it with a folder to
allow all images in a folder (or just a certain image) to have a certain "look"
would be amazing, just a thought

Thanks for building a great program