On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> My notes for a script that adjusts the time prior to geotagging:
>
> # There are multiple flavors of timestamps, as shown by exiftool -e
> #   "File Modification Date/Time":
> #     not reliable due to copying/processing

Sounds right to ignore this date.

> #   "Create Date":
> #     set to camera clock at exposure
> #     choice for what never to modify

In the case of images captured by digital cameras with the clock set
correctly. When dealing with scanned images, this is the scan date.

> #   "Date/Time Original":
> #     set to camera clock at exposure
> #     default for -geotag option
> #     shown by gqview

Again, images captured by digital cameras with the clock set
correctly. In the case of scanned images, could be way back in time. I
have some images as my grandfather as a child, so I set this date to
1915.

> #   "Modify Date":
> #     not clear how/when this is set; seems not to match

When the image itself was modified from the original. I believe this
applies to cropping and other adjustments.

There is also the Metadata Date. That changes when any metadata gets
changed. Different from the Modify Date.