Jules Gosnell wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

Sorry to change the subject...

Can someone make a definitive statement on whether or not code history is brought into our repo from elsewhere when a podling brings code over?

I don't see how the incubator can hold a single position on this one.

There are good reasons both for and against, depending on your project.

We certainly can have a position, and then deal with exceptions.

Rather than making a decision which is bound to fly in the face of some potential incubatees, why can it not simply be left to individual projects to decide for themselves?

Because IMO the primary purpose of the incubator is to protect and promote the ASFs interests, not of the candidate individual projects. That's SourceForge.

My understanding of the incubator's role, was that issues like this did not have to be resolved until a project sought promotion up out of the incubator.

Well, things have to be complete by then, but this is a case of where if you don't do it from the beginning, you can't fix it later, unless you've made no changes to the code.

At this point, I might reasonably expect to have to shed a project history - if its acceptance into a first-level ASF repo caused problems - and live with a history divided between two repos.

Why, though, a passage to this point, via the incubator, should further fragment a project, and leave me with my history in three places, I do not understand.

Isn't the incubator meant to lower the bar for projects wishing to migrate into ASF ?

Where would the three places be? I can see two if we don't take history and only one if we do - here, at the ASF.

geir

Jules (WADI)