Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
Hi Geir (and all),

my name is Jacopo Cappellato, I'm one of the developers of the OFBiz project and, as you can imagine, I'm very interested in your feedback about our request to join the ASF Incubator.

About the proposal posted to the Wiki instead of to this list... well if you go to the first post in this thread you'll find a mail from David Jones with the proposal attached (in PDF format). The document has essentially the same content of the Wiki page, only the proposed sponsor is different (based on feedback from this list, we are now asking that the Incubator PMC be our sponsor).

Of course, we have no problems to repost to the list an updated PDF version as well, if PDF is good for you (and we'll probably do this if there are no more comments from this list that we should take into account).

Hi Jacopo,

First and most importantly, welcome! :)

The following is my personal opinion, and shouldn't in any way be assumed to be Incubator Policy.

Personally, I do like PDF but it still is one step away from LCD and makes it a *little* harder, for example for people who use non-GUI tools or on cellphones and such (I do get work mail to a phone, and I do have a PDF reader on it, but I think that I'm in a small minority...) It also makes searching mail content harder - you couldn't take an incubator archive mbox and grep for something. (Yes, modern tools will open and digest it, but use of those tools is more the exception than the norm...). Also, if you were keeping revisions of the docs in something like SVN, diffs would be easier. For example, you talk about how the PDF is "essentially the same". If they were two emails, I could diff them. Now, w/ a PDF and a wiki page, one would have to examine the two manually to know the difference.

Anyway, enough of a rant on this. Thanks for getting involved in this. The ASF is a fun place. really :)

geir

Thanks for your time and suggestions,

Jacopo

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
Is this becoming the current de-facto process, posting to a wiki? (or "@)#!)#@ wiki", as I tend to think of them...)

Can we please have things go to the mail list, as that should be the 'primary institutional memory' of the incubator community. Feel free to also have on a wiki for collaboration to get it done, but after that, the final proposal should, IMO, go to the mail list.

Does anyone else feel this way? Mail archives will live for years in distributed places. Wiki's seem to be single-sourced and a lot more ephemeral....

geir

David N. Welton wrote:

David N. Welton wrote:

I guess it should be placed on the wiki? I'll do that later today if no
one else beats me to it.

Here we go:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal

I changed the proposed sponsor to the Incubator PMC, as that's
apparently the done thing.

Ciao,