I think we have two cases here that we need to treat differently: public and private code. In the case of publicly developed code, we can easily check the public source repository and mailing lists and say "hey, these people did contribute to the project". I the case of privately developed code, we can not make this determination and "lazy account creation" seems like a good way to determine who is actually contributing.

-dain