Hey all,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:29:46AM +0200, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >On Wednesday 21 June 2006 19:19, Leo Simons wrote:
> >
> >>What I'm missing is an idea of the interaction between jini.org and this
> >>proposed new apache project, and an idea of the interaction between the
> >>JCP
> >>process and the apache project. Eg is the apache project a (reference?)
> >>implementation of a bunch of JCP specs managed through jini.org (in which
> >>case I'd say it needs a new name), is it a 'full' move from jini.org to
> >>jini.apache.org, or something else?
> >
> >It has been discussed that jini.org will serve as a "information portal",
> >with links to docs, specs, implementations, the starter kit, and so forth.
> >The Apache project will first be the center of coding of the starter kit,
> >and other useful generic tools.

Ok. Sorta makes sense.

> >It has not yet been decided what exactly should happen to the
> >specifications and related process (JDP). Many people like the JDP, but
> >also recognizes the overhead needed to keep it running. One alternative
> >that has been discussed is to let the Jini TLP manage the JDP (with a
> >couple of amendments) as well.

I read up on this JDP thing a little and I would suggest for starters that
you keep all that in place as-is-now and re-evaluate later. It seems like a big
thing to change, and perhaps after the new apache project is more 'established'
and 'known to be what it is' and 'trusted' as successful the discussion will
be easier (or simply moot since no-one wants any change :) ).

I guess this means keeping jini.org around for a long time to come, and I think
this means you need a name for "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" which is not "jini" :)

> Bringing the Jini specs (the community approved standards) into an ASF
> project without a JDP like process can IMHO be seen as monopolizing
> what is perceived as Jini. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing
> is up to the reader ;-)

Apache has a meritocratic process which is in many ways quite different from
democratic (I imagine that with jini in 1999, 'democratic' meant less 'control'
for sun than 'meritocratic') . I wouldn't want to switch from one to the other
lightly!

> >My personal stance is that it is an issue that is not urgent, and can be
> >discussed through incubation.
>
> I disagree here, some people in the Jini community find it important to
> know in advance which way this is heading, e.g. to hedge their risks
> using or investing in this technology and determine their own future path.

FWIW, "moving things to apache" in general has not meant an increase in risk
for whatever it is that is moving. I would not worry too much :)

LSD