On 10/20/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 10/19/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> (i'll run RAT against the source and submit a JIRA or something with
> the issues but may be later on next week. alternatively, checked the
> source out from http://code.google.com/p/arat/ but it's very user
> unfriendly...)

Why not bring it to incubator?  Maybe someone could help make it
friendly to use.  Make it easier for podlings to leave.

it's a micro-application, too small for apache. if anyone wants to
hack i'm happy to grant karma...

Heck, make it a checkbox requirement.

IMO this would be a big mistake. it's a tool to speed up assessment
rather than a definitive test. it uses heuristics and produces lots of
false negatives. interpretation will always be required.

<snip>

I just pray that when it reports clean, you'll be satisfied.

i was satisfied already (see below): most of stuff looks fine with a
few oversights that should have been caught by any experienced apache
release manager.

> no serious concerns (problems look like oversights) but there's still
> some work need...

Out of curiosity, have you run this tool on the releases of TLPs?

nope

What's the error rate?

the reports require interpretation so that'd be hard to calculate. i
would expect that any but the simplest releases to have some issues
highlighted. the question is then whether they are serious, trivial or
non-existent.

(who hopes that life's too short for anyone to survey the error rate
for my releases ;-)

- robert