sebb wrote:
> On 23/11/2009, Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
>>  On Nov 23, 2009, at 5:49 PM, sebb wrote:
>>

>>> There is only a "bz2" archive.
>>> Normally projects release archives in zip andr tar.gz format which are
>>> more commonly supported.
>>>
>>> IMO, this is a release blocker
>>>

>>  Just curious why you think this is a blocker? Each project knows better
>> what formats are common and acceptable in the target user community. There's
>> no single distribution format and this is not a blocker IMO.
>>

> The project OS targets include Windows, which does not support BZ2
> natively by default, whereas Windows does now support Zip archives.

Most people on Windows will prefer to use an installer provided by
someone else, anyway. The "someone else" is likely to have 7-zip or some
other free archiver that does support bzip2 installed.

> AFAIK, all other ASF releases use both tar.gz and zip archives.

I'm going to barge in again, but this is like requiring every Apache
project from now on to be written in Java, "because Windows usually has
a JRE but not a C compiler installed." Next you'll be mandating coding
standards.

Isn't this just a /little/ bit over the line of sensible requirements?

-- Brane