On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pember...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not quite the scenario. We have a *dormant* component
> (validator) in Commons and a couple of ASF committers (not commons
> committers) have shown up proposing to re-write that component to
> implement the new "Bean Valiadation" specification. Recently one of
> those committers proposed adopting this existing code-base written by
> someone else which is already 80% complete. I was the last active
> committer on the Commons Validator component and all I'm trying to do
> is facilitate those that want to revive it and bring in the new code
> base. So its more a case of other people think Commons would be an
> appropriate home - so far none of the existing Commons committers has
> shown any interest in the codebase. Personally my interest in helping
> make this happen though is now dying 'coz this is way too painful.

It doesn't have to be painful. This thread has been running a few
weeks now if it really is wanted to be done in the Incubator just call
a vote on that now. The champion and mentors are Incubator PMC members
so it'll likely get enough +1s (though the vote might go more smoothly
if the part about using the commons mailing lists is removed). The
Commons PMC is effectively saying we don't want to take responsibility
and giving it to the Incubator PMC who from the comments on this
thread will likely think its ready to graduate almost immediately so
can vote to graduate it at the earliest opportunity and give it right
back to Commons. Making work for ourselves but so be it. It doesnt
look like theres been any comments about this on commons dev or
private since the proposal was submitted to the Incubator so it may be
worth first asking there again if they'd review this thread and
reconsider not doing it via the software grant route.

   ...ant