On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:20 AM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose that the process for Incubator poddlings to make
> someone a new committer is simplified so that all that is needed are
> votes from poddling committers and that there is no longer any need
> for votes from Incubator PMC members or a separate Incubator PMC vote.
>
> As justification, this is the process that was in place some years ago
> and it worked fine like that, there is the "experiment" currently in
> place with some poddlings doing this which seems to be working ok, and
> the board has said they're ok with it.
>
>   ...ant

Ok its been nearly a week and there is overwhelming support for doing
this so I have gone ahead and made an update to the PPMC guide to
reflect this. The text is a copy of what is already there for voting
in a new PPMC member updated as necessary for being a committer. The
new text reads:

------
Any member of the PPMC can propose a new committer. The proposal
should be discussed in private on the PPMC private alias, with a
subject line of [DISCUSS] Joe Bob as committer. If there is consensus
that the proposed member is suitable, then there should be a formal
vote in the PPMC private alias, with the subject line of [VOTE] Joe
Bob as committer. The [VOTE] message should be forwarded to the IPMC (
priv...@incubator.apache.org) to notify them that the vote is
underway. If the vote is successful, the proposer should send a
message to the PPMC private alias, with the subject line of
[VOTE][RESULT] Joe Bob as committer.

Note that to be successful the vote requires at least one +1 from a
poddling mentor, or, if no mentors are available from an Incubator PMC
member.
------

   ...ant