On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - I have made no changes to NOTICE and LICENSE, because the incubator
> and community advice seemed contradictory.  I would like a general
> sense of how many people feel that the current NOTICE and LICENSE
> files are unacceptable before I make changes.

The NOTICE file is still incorrect and includes a lot of unnecessary
stuff. Understanding how to do releases with the correct legal files
is one of the important parts of incubation and as this is the first
release for the poddling i think this needs to be sorted out.

For the NOTICE file, start with the following text (between the ---'s):

---
Apache ManifestCF
Copyright 2010 The Apache Software Foundation

This product includes software developed by
---

and then add _nothing_ unless you can find explicit policy documented
somewhere in the ASF that says it is required. If someone wants to add
something ask for the URL where the requirement is documented. The
NOTICE file should only include required notices, the other text thats
in the current NOTICE file could go in a README file, see
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

For the LICENSE file, it should start with the AL as the current one
does, and then include the text for all the other licenses used in the
distribution. Those license that are currently in the NOTICE file
should be moved to the LICENSE file and then you need to verify that
all the 3rd party dependencies in the src and binary distributions are
also in the LICENSE files of those distributions.

   ...ant