On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> == Rationale ==
> MRUnit has existed as a contrib component of Apache Hadoop. This has served
> to introduce users to the library and to provide necessary functionality to
> developers in the form of development support. That said, MRUnit is not
> necessarily an intrinsic component of Hadoop proper and could benefit from
> being a standalone project in that:
>  * A separate project would support an independent development and release
> schedule allowing for faster iteration and response to user requests.
>  * Separating adjunct projects from the core Hadoop codebase simplifies
> Hadoop's build and release.
>  * MRUnit users can get a simpler artifact in a way most appropriate to
> development time (i.e. Maven or Ivy repositories).
>  * MRUnit can build out independent support for different versions of Hadoop
> without requiring circular dependencies or testing issues.

I don't know, none of those things really sound like justification for
a separate TLP, keeping something like this nearby to Hadoop MapReduce
seems like it would help give it a better chance of long term survival
 to me. Wouldn't simply moving mrunit out from
hadoop/mapreduce/trunk/src to somewhere else so it can do its own
releases and deploy its artifacts achieve all those objectives?

   ...ant