On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:43 AM, robert_w...@us.ibm.com wrote:

> What isn't clear to me are things like the following:
>
> 1) A strong QA member, who does manual testing, enters defect reports,
> does smoke tests, etc.  How do they advance in the meritocracy?  Is there
> any opportunity for them to be recognized as a committer and eventually as
> a PMC member?
>
> 2) Ditto for someone working on marketing oriented aspects of the project,
> helping to arrange conferences, working on logos, etc.?
>
> 3) Ditto for someone on the build/release management side, for example,
> liaising with Linux distros to get them to include OpenOffice releases.
>
> All of these roles (and others which I've surely missed) are critical to
> the project's success.  How does a project typically recognize the lead
> contributors in these areas?  Is it a case of "If it is not checked into
> the repository, it doesn't count" ??  I hope note.

Note, also, that all of these things (who gets commit, who gets to be on the
PMC) are decided by the project itself, not handed down from the Board or the
Members. This gives the community the authority to define who is, or is not, a
valued contributor. It seems pretty clear that the project has established
ideas of this already, and so little cause for concern.

--
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com