On 3 June 2011 14:31, Allen Pulsifer <pulsi...@openoffice.org> wrote:

> >  (3)  There is even talk as to why?  I'm also curious as to why they
> would
> need or want to transfer the project to Apache.
>
> Only the person who made that decision knows the answer, and if you ask
> them, you might get an answer, and it might even be the real answer.  But
> you never know.
>
> I will offer you my analysis though as a neutral observer, which might help
> with the understanding.
>
> It is not an uncommon model for companies to take a program they own and
> release an open-source version while continuing to sell a proprietary
> version that includes additional features and technical support.  Among
> other reasons:
>
> - Build a community around the application, hoping to upsell organizations
> to the proprietary version.
>
> - Get bug reports and code contributions that they can use in the
> proprietary version.
>
> Sun acquired the StarOffice program by acquiring the company that created
> it.  That is a common reason for one company to acquire another: to acquire
> the company's technology.  It has been said that Sun was looking for an
> office suite for SunOS, both for Sun's customers and for Sun's own
> employees.  Acquiring StarOffice met that need at a reasonable cost.
>
> After acquiring StarOffice, Sun released an open source version called
> OpenOffice, for the reasons listed above.  As mentioned in a prior post,
> Sun
> required all community contributions to the open source version to include
> copyright assignment to Sun, so they could use those contributions in their
> proprietary version.  This was rigorously enforced.
>
> Oracle acquired Sun, primarily it is said to acquire Sun's Java and MySQL
> products.  StarOffice and OpenOffice came along for the ride.  Oracle
> continued to sell StarOffice, but changed the name to Oracle Open Office,
> and continued the open source version, just like Sun, using the same
> employees.  Oracle also envisioned creating an online version of Open
> Office
> that would be similar to Google Docs.
>
> Neither of the plans worked out.  Over at Oracle, sales and marketing runs
> the show, not the engineers.  The Oracle sales force, which is accustomed
> being paid big commissions for large dollar sales, was not happy pushing a
> $35 per seat office suite.  Meanwhile, little headway was made turning the
> bloated and complex code into an online version.  Oracle gave the program a
> short time frame to show $$$ results, and it did not make the cut.  So they
> pulled the plug.
>
> Meanwhile, Oracle has this open source community inherited from Sun, to
> which they had been paying lip service.  In order to avoid a complete
> public-relations disaster, Oracle declared, "we are going to turn this
> project over to the open source community".  In addition, Oracle also has a
> [...]

So the safest community strategy is to develop community driven business
models that can sustain the project. I said this back in 2004 and went off
to do it because of no understanding in the community leaders or Sun at the
time.  If 10% of the effort put into the project was in developing
sustainable service businesses around the product it would be very likely
that the project could become independent of large companies. Certification,
merchandising and support are all possible revenue streams but they need
strategic planning, expertise and focus. It isn't all about hacking. I think
the dependency on large companies that started with Sun has to come to an
end if the project is not to be constantly vulnerable to the whims of one or
two individual interests.
--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications