The reason for my questions is that I hope that answers might in some
way potentially help to avoid separate code bases for OpenOffice.org /
LibreOffice or at least make it possible to avoid that for parts of the
code.

Some kind of reasonable relation between Lotus Symphony and
Openoffice.org / LibreOffice obviously is needed.

***

My opinion is that some kind of copyleft license might be better suited
for this type of software than a non-copyleft license. The difference
between libraries, frameworks etc. which are mostly used by developers
and end user applications might be decisive.

I am aware of great existing proprietary products usable by end users
built using software produced in ASF projects but I can not point to any
ASF application which is easily usable by non-developer end users (I
would be glad to be corrected ;-). Maybe that has something to do with
the license.

At the same time I think that a strong community around a project is
(regularly) more important than the license used by it.

In other words: perhaps there are parts of OpenOffice.org for which the
Apache License 2 is more appropriate than it is for other parts.

Cheers,
Andreas
---