Hello,

I've been thinking for quite a while whether I should raise my voice and vote or not. I've made my standpoint rather clear the last days, so I wanted to abstain from voting, as I've shown all the facts already. However, having been in involved with the OpenOffice.org project for many years, in the end serving as distribution & marketing lead, and with several people encouraging that the LibreOffice folks should also speak out, I've decided to vote. This is solely my vote as individual, not as TDF spokesperson:

-1 (non-binding)

My reasons:
(For more details on these, refer to my former postings)

* While it was said that the wider community would be involved, I could not see any official contact of the proponents with the OpenOffice.org project on their lists, before the step was announced.

* Therefore, I do not see this as an initiative of the OpenOffice.org project, but rather of other stakeholders. The project has been decided upon, it did not decide itself.

* While so far, we had one community with two projects, the step you are about to take will now lead to two split communities. As much as diversity can be helpful, actively helping to foster the split doesn't sound senseful to me.

* The only real difference to TDF that matters to most voters, IMHO, is the license. There would have been other options in place of dealing with them, and not all of those would - as some presumed - involve giving all assets to TDF. Various options have been pointed out already, but to no avail.

* The product OpenOffice.org as we know it will not exist anymore. Thorsten and André pointed out the licensing issues very well. By the step you are about to take, you will simply contribute to market irritation and help to make the OpenOffice.org brand vanish.

* All the infrastructure and processes would have to be re-defined, while e.g. TDF has them already, exactly fitting to the community.

* The attitude towards TDF brought in place by several supporters of the incubation speaks for itself, and by accepting the incubation, you indirectly support these efforts, or at least give the sign that these do not matter too much.

* "It is the way it is", an argument brought forward very often, does just sound desperate, rather than creative and open-minded as I would expect it from free software enthusiasts.

* The project proposal is wrong in some parts. Just as an example, for over eleven years, one of the project's goals was to have its own foundation, rather than joining an existing one. It also states that things happen "as a community", while the step taking place now will lead to split communities. The proposal also states that the previously split community would be united under ASF, however, I cannot see reaching this goal.

* Many OpenOffice.org project members who stayed with OpenOffice.org did so because they explicitly favored democracy rather than meritocracy. Moving to ASF, as far as I know, will not help for these terms, as you share a similar governance model as TDF does.

* As far as I understood, the use of the trademark within Apache rules might be different, which could heavily affect businesses and thus the ecosystem.

* Some initial contributors have shown that the mentioned priority with TDF relationship doesn't matter to them, despite its explicit mention in the proposal.

* There still seem to be major issues with the exact code grant, plus, as far as I know, about the trademark. I would have expected to clarify these before acceptance.

That being said - and I explicitly want to underline that -, I am not saying that ASF's intentions are bad, neither do I want to say it is a bad place for an open source project. I just think there would have been better options in place for this particular project, and I am sad they have not been considered enough.

I also want to emphasize that I really enjoy the open dialogue with ASF "officials", so to speak, and I hope that independent from the results of the podling and incubation, this contact will stay and can even be grown.

Again, all of the points above are solely my personal thoughts, speaking only for myself, not for TDF.

Florian