From: Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Date: 1 February 2012 11:44
Subject: mentoring individuals as well as projects
To: priv...@incubator.apache.org

On 1 February 2012 11:05, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think as Mentors we probably do a so so job of mentoring Podlings
> (not bad, but not good as well). But we do a subpar job on mentoring
> individuals.

+1000

Here's a little anecdote.

About 10 years ago David Crossley mentored me. I'm not sure if he made
a decision to do so or if it just happened because that is his style.
However, he mentored me in my first committership, my first leadership
activities in my first project and my initial Membership. There were
many other people along the way but it was David who gently pushed me
forwards at a faster rate than I was willing to push myself.

My point is that when we help guide individuals who demonstrate a
willingness to contribute those individuals often grow in capacity.
Sure, it doesn't always work out, people move on or we get it wrong.
But the balance is, in my experience, positive.

I'd like to think David takes great pride in knowing that a little
mentoring all those years ago has resulted in me still being here
today and (hopefully) useful to the foundation and a number of its
projects.

I do see this happening across a great many projects today. We should
do more of it and we should facilitate those who want to do it.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)