On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> On Feb 4, 2012, at 2:36 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.
>> On Feb 4, 2012 3:41 AM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <
>> chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>> [...snip...]
>>>
>>> The project's PMC. And if not, the project's VP. And if not that, the
>> board,
>>> or the membership. Just like the current way it works for existing TLPs.
>>
>> if l the "membership" what is the channel used and who is responsible for
>> ensuring that channel works?
>
> The same channel that exists today for normal projects. The board is
> elected by the membership. If the board doesn't fix the problem for the
> project, and the membership is unpleased, the members elect a new
> board that will fix it. Or they won't.

>>> How much work is there maintaing them? What's left to do?
>>
>> I mean in individual projects, not in defining policy. Even in the poddling
>> that I've felt would benefit from this proposal the RM has learned by his
>> mistakes. Some of which were caught by IPMC review when an additional vote
>> was needed.
>
> Sure, and in my proposal it'll be caught by review of having 3 ASF members
> on the project; by actually signing up strong ASF members (or "mentors")
> to the project (as Benson said) who care about that stuff (release review,
> etc.), and by having
> a VP for the project. Or by the board. Or by the legal committee.
>
> If you think about it, I'm simply proposing to use what's there, and to
> move more towards the existing foundation resources, than to pretend
> that the IPMC was the only place that we could get this information from.
> A lot of the passionate legal folks or release review folks in the IPMC
> (ant, Sam, etc.) are also members of the legal committee, and/or lurk
> there. A lot of the release passionate folks (Joe S., myself etc.) also lurk
> in other
> places that will see releases happening (infra@, etc.). It's not putting extra
> burden on them to ask them to flag what they see, or provide advice. They're
> doing that already.

One thing that is not clear on the proposal is that it says that
releases will be responsibility of the TLPs, but it doest not suggest
or require that the actual existing ASF members that are part of the
TLP have to vote on the release. This might become an issue with
podlings that are not so experienced with the IP issues, etc and
official ASF releases from these podlings might have issues.

I'd recommend that, during the incubation period of the TLP,  releases
are required to have at least 3 votes from existing ASF members. This
might still be a little overhead, but at least it's members of the
PMC, and the TLP would not have to go chase IPMC on the general list
to get release approval.

Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975