On 03/07/2012 11:31 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Not trying to beat a dead horse to death here but I'm starting to think
> that we might have had some basis to these package namespace issues. The
> recent private Lucene-Commons threads show what can happen if this policy
> is that hmmm liberal. Don't know if that's the right choice of words.

The differences between the cases should inform any policy.

In one case you have the inclusion of an older package name for
back-compatibility by the same community that created the older API.  In
the other case you have the inclusion of an API that conflicts with one
managed by a different, still-active community.

Doug