On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:10 PM Dave Fisher <wave4d...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 16, 2020, at 6:56 PM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:

> > In the case of people asking to be removed from the IPMC, they are
> removed from the roster, this is reported in the next Incubator board
> report and if there no objections from the board they would then be
> considered non longer IPMC members. So a roster may not 100% accurately
> reflect who is actually a IPMC member at a point in time.
> >
> > What we would be doing is removing people from the roster who have not
> signed up to the private list and they can be added back to the roster by
> performing one simple action. We would not be asking the board to remove
> them from the IPMC.

There is no distinct "roster" and "membership".

The canonical "source of truth" on committee membership is
committee-info.txt. Everything falls out from that. The "roster" that
Whimsy displays. How LDAP gets configured. etc. The Foundation uses that
file to record changes, and membership. Removing somebody from that file
can only be performed via Board resolution.

(of course, unless you mean something else by "roster")

I think that without an explicit resignation they must remain IPMC members.
> The only exception would be those who have gone emeritus or have passed on.
> The driver is membership.

Disagree. That does not comport with history/precedent. See below.

> An IPMC Member who is not a Member and is no longer subscribed should be
> consider individually on private@i.a.o.
>
> The Board evaluates PMCs via roll calls on private@. I’m not aware of
> cases of PMCs throwing people off w/o a resignation and as you Justin
> should be aware the Board goes to the extreme to prevent it. (The current
> Board may differ from prior Boards, but let’s not test it!)

There have been a number of cases of involuntary removal. Although I'm
using "involuntary" in only the loosest sense here, because the people
indicated no desire one way or another. About 15 people were removed from
the Apache HTTPD PMC in November 2014:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2014/board_minutes_2014_11_19.txt

There have been a couple other cases, too.

Let me also fine-tune a statement above, Dave: "cases of PMCs throwing
people off". That is not possible. Only the Board can do that.

> Alternatively do any of the board members here think that not signing up
> to the private mailing list is grounds for removal from a PMC? Where they
> actually on it in the first place?

I cannot speak for the Board, but I believe they would be amenable to
removing those IPMC members, if and only if, there have been one or more
attempts to reach out to them. The Apache HTTPD spent a year or two, with
several calls to see if anybody wanted to remain. The 15 delivered to the
Board was the result of that activity. As you can see from the Minutes, the
Board approved the resolution and removed all 15.

Cheers,
-g