Hi -

> On Apr 3, 2024, at 4:33 AM, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> Question: where did the incubation process fail in this case?  How can we
> prevent something like this from happening again?

Rather than consider what went wrong in this case and to avoid an how is the
Incubator broken this time discussion … let’s look at the real problem.

1. Companies donate IP while not understanding that they are giving up
trademarks.
2. We defer trademark assignment until Incubation ends.

These branding issues can happen in TLPs as well.

It would help if the following were improved (I’m not licking this cookie, just
discussion.)

1. If the Champion has one duty to the ASF it is to make sure that any entity
that will sign an SGA knows the brand implications.
2. The IPMC members need to be willing to actively retire projects that are not
properly understanding the “Apache Way”. This should not be consider a failure
of the Incubator.
3. The VP, Brand may need to alter the Podling Name Search to include
information about the brand’s "pre-existing conditions”.
4. When the Incubator votes to allow graduation it should have explicit
feedback from one or more active Mentors. The VOTE should not be held unless
that is demonstrated in the [DISCUSS].
5. The Board should ask for explicit assurances from the Incubator PMC that the
new PMC has or will handle the situation.

Best,
Dave