I've followed this thread with interest, I have to say that I think the move
to open source for a product has to be independant of any other action.

If you aren't commited to releasing your product under an open source
licence without the support of Apache it does seem suspicious.

If your OS project is a success well and good, if you can find some
champions at Apache then thats cool too. If it fails, and no one will
support you then at least you gave it your best shot.

Either way you *still* have that product, its the rest of us who don't but I
can't imagine Apache folks adopting a project without picking it to bits
first. Look at the quality of the projects running now, in terms of
engineering, design, and vision they are by and large second to none.

(just my 2c)
d.