Not necessarily true, I've worked on applications where a servers ability to
dynamically create M$ documents is a cool feature, imagine a servelet which
returned an xls workbook reporting on data from an ODBC datasource (maybe
sales figures or contact details), people in M$ centered offices lap that
up, particularly if it can include VBS macros providing an update path and
other client-server features.
There you have a client's (admitedly simple) route into a non M$ environment
which doesn't frighten the children or use ODBC or any non M$ application on
the client side.
d.