> is Redhat Linux Professional Server any different
> from what you can download for free. If so how can they get away
> with that?

Funnily enough this is the second time I've been asked this in a month, and what I
reckon is...

It comes complete ready to install with tested kernel patches and admin/config for ip
clustering & failover with heartbeat monitoring.
It includes support, including support for this extra stuff.

For deploying clusters it is a more predictable baseline to work from than applying
patches to several machines by hand.

It doesn't (AFAIK) include any proprietery code, but all the elements have (I presume)
been tested together and selected to provide reliability and stability.

The opportunity cost of not buying it is time spent designing a stable configuration
of these additional patches and programmes, and the cost of accepting the blame if
your home-spun set-up fails in action.

As the commercial target market for any high availability solution is *by definition*
seeking reliability a reputable tested/testable product with support guarentees is
likely to prove more attractive than an un-proven bespoke offering.

Organisations which understand the software will benefit financially from replicating
the set-up used by RedHat, but only if they are confident enough to take the risk.

d.