Its peer review, once the commiters themselves are happy to release the code (they
vote to ascertain this) they release it.
But as development is Open the code is actually available for download from CVS before
it has been reviewed, approved, tested or anything.
The golden rule is that code in CVS has to build, not that it should actually fulfil
its stated purpose.
Non commiter contributions have to be commited by a commiter, whoever does this will
review the changes to make sure that they are useful, useable and well written. If a
contributor makes a number of submissions which pass this review with no adverse
comment then they have demonstrated that they have something to offer and their
ability to fit-in with the projects processes, they are then likely to be considered
as a new commiter.

d.