I like to totally endorse Leo's points about the Avalon PMC, My experience with James
PMC is very, very similar.

James PMC is by and large the whole set of commiters who were active in discussions
about the project, rather than just the code. From that POV nothing much has changed,
we're a bit more aware of our responsibilities, but it doesn't involve a load more
participation.

I can see that limiting the size of Jakarta PMC would compel PMC members to take a
more active interest in parts of the project that wouldn't normally cross their paths.
Conversely extending the PMC to include *trusted* additional members spreads the load,
and a wide range of interests in the PMC ensure that every aspect is covered. Then
again widening the PMC by indiscriminately including everyone may backfire if they
can't rely on each other, so that instead of seven people sharing the load you get 22
people all keeping their own eye on everything.

I've been nominated for the Jakarta PMC this round, and I intend to serve if elected,
and although I'm not a commiter on any jakarta-projects any more I believe that my
small contribution (irrespective of its quality..) will help to ensure that jakarta is
a focused community project, and that it has ties with other projects and the wider
Apache community.

d.