I just touched the general/dirutils addon to test whether removing
those empty directories had fixed the problem - unfortunately not!

2012 3 19 0 56 45 addons
built: general/dirutils/1.0 j602, general/dirutils/1.0 j701
 unhandled error:
|interface error: hostcmd
|       hostcmd dblquote f

This error is preventing Package Manager on Windows from seeing new updates.

I started looking at this because the newer updates for packages since
15 March haven't been showing up in my Package Manager. I've just done
a bit more checking and can see that they show up in my Linux install,
but not Windows. This means that in my Windows Package manager the
most recent version of gui/gtkwd available from JAL shows up as 1.0.38
while on Linux it shows up as 1.0.41.

The date of the jal.zip file on JAL is 15 March while the jal.tar.gz
is 18 March :
http://www.jsoftware.com/jal/j701/

This indicates that the build process is successfully completing the
Linux part but breaking before completing the Windows files.

Another indication that things aren't quite right is that the Trac
Timeline is missing the "build" changesets that normally appear when a
new version of an addon is released.

Below is the last successful build I can see on the timeline
http://www.jsoftware.com/trac/addons/timeline

09:41 Changeset [3521] by www-data
    build
09:41 Changeset [3520] by blam