Many (10?) years ago, I started with Word to HTML (File|Save as|HTML).  The
result has about a 10 to 1 noise vs. info, but you can edit it by hand to
rid yourself of the junk.  Now I just start and finish with HTML.  If today
I am given a Word document I might "Save as" ASCII text and then edit it by
hand into HTML.