On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 12:32:37PM +0900, Daniel Juyung Seo wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Arjan van de Ven <ar...@linux.intel.com>
> wrote:
> > On 10/5/2012 9:27 AM, Daniel Juyung Seo wrote:

> >> Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Control_Management
> >
> > I know what SCM is thank you very much
> >
> > What I don't grok is why an "SCM guy" does things and not the package
> > maintainer
>
> Sorry I don't know why either.
>

> >> He just dumped Tizen source code from Samsung internal git to public Tizen
> >> git.
> >
> > he made a change to Tizen.
> > without any useful commit message, and he replaced one component with
> > another.
> >
> > surely there is a reason and rational for all of that?
> >
> > oh and he didn't dump from an internal git... there would actually be
> > history and other committers if he did that.
> >

> Oh maybe I am missing something.
> Kibum could answer you but it looks like he is away :(

I fully agree with Arjan that history should be there.

There are four points why you shouldn't never ever touch the
revision history:

- People working from community (be it individual or a company)
want to credit of their work. Contribution is essentially a
changeset in the revision history.
- Single commit could be in some case a copyrightable item.
- Revision history is mandatory when you want to pick upstream
bug fixes into your project. Even if your project is a fork of
a upstream project this is very essential thing.
- Bug hunting. How you are going go git bisect?

For example, if you only have kind of flow of dumps, you make
fluid integration of fixes to CVEs very very hard.

In my opinion, this is really an issue that should be dealt in
a way or another. Dumping a strong effect to quality and also
on willinges of community to contribute to a project.

Just my 5 cents. I try to be constructive here :) Thanks.

/Jarkko