Axis contains an org.apache.axis.Version class, which has a getVersionString() method
and a main() which prints the version info to System.out.  The version string comes
from a resource file, and is automatically updated by our ant build each time the jar
is put together.  Being a SOAP engine, we also expose a SOAP service called "Version"
which allows remote querying of the Axis version.

I'm a definite +1 to version information in jars - please feel free to check out the
way we did it in Axis.

--Glen