I'm receiving an XML document over a TCP socket, I then instantiate an
instance of DOMParser and attempt to parse the data.  Here's the
exception:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x0) was
found in markup after the end of the element content.
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1213)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDocumentScanner.java:588)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$TrailingMiscDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1461)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)

Here's the relevant snippet(s) of source (I didn't include the code which
writes out the socket, but it does):

[code]Socket socket = new Socket( hostIP, hostPort );
OutputStream outStream = socket.getOutputStream();
InputStream inStream = socket.getInputStream();
DataInputStream dataInStream = new DataInputStream( inStream );
byte[] inByteArray  = new byte[ 2048 ];
int length =  dataInStream.read( inByteArray );
InputStream byteData  =  new ByteArrayInputStream( inByteArray );

try
{
       DOMParser dp = new DOMParser();
       dp.parse( new InputSource( byteData ));
       Document doc = dp.getDocument();
}
catch ( Exception e )
{
        e.printStackTrace();
        System.exit( 1 );
}[/code]

Is there a different way to do this?  I even tried creating a new String
based on the length read from the socket, minus one.  The parser then saw
that the final angle bracket of my root element was missing, so it doesn't
seem to be an encoding issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff