One of the biggest differences is that EMT64 has no IOMMU.
http://lwn.net/Articles/91870/

Here is a report of a successful gentoo AMD64 install on EMT64 Xeons:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-295203-highlight-emt64.html
The user concludes that the performance difference between 32 and 64bit on EMT64 is not as significant as with AMD64.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In some situations the Xeons running in 64-bit mode are faster and in some situations they are not. For the full details on this, read my review here:
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/27/204232

Hopefully that will clear some things up. I am completing my review of the new Pentium 4s with the same 64-bit core. That may shed even more light onto the situation. Check LinuxHardware.org within the next week for that review.

Thanks,
Kris Kersey (Augustus)
LinuxHardware.org Site Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]