On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>    I'm wondering whether -avx is what others would use or whether
>> there's a better set of options.
>
> I think that is the typical rsync backup command set as far as I have
> ever seen. It should work as you expect it to work. Note that if you
> use ACLs or extended attributes, you would need to additionally
> specify -A and/or -X since they are not implied by -a.
>
> On a side note, I recently rsync'ed a drive between computers, one
> running a Live CD and one not, over ssh, and somehow got all my
> user/groups mixed up (I guess group 20 on one box was X but on another
> box it was Y). Luckily I was able to identify it and fix it before
> things got too broken. I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, to be
> honest.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Is 'using ACLs' one of those things that if you don't know then you
are not? I just run basic Gentoo here. All installs done as per the
install guide. I don't even use LVM or anything fancy. (Which is
likely part of why I'm having to reconfigure as much as I am but so be
it.)

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll just give it a try and then see
about maybe diffing the two drives or something like to to check.

Cheers,
Mark