Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 17 Apr 2017 21:15:00 -0700 as excerpted:

> Geez Duncan, get over it.

I was over it.  One sentence request as I was answering the question that
was asked.  That was it.

Until someone (not you!) questioned that one sentence request and I
needed to fill in the reasoning behind it.

> I don't send HTML by default and you know that.

+1 =:^)

> If you don't want to read and respond then don't, but get over the idea
> that you alone are the keeper of what's right for 7 billion people on
> the Internet and move on.

I have a simple rule.  When I reply to an HTML mail, I ask that people
turn it off.  But only if I'm replying for other reasons, and it's
normally short and polite.  As it was here.  (Tho sometimes I explain why
in the first post too, but I still try to keep it brief and to the
point... relatively, for my posts, anyway.)

If it happens repeatedly, I may killfile.  But I don't at first, because
I've found the short request, making people aware of the problem, is
often enough to get them to fix it, especially if I'm answering as best I
can whatever else at the same time. =:^)

FWIW, I actually believe people have the /right/ to post in html if they
wish, but I have the right to ask them to stop, too, and to killfile if
they ultimately don't.  Fortunately, I don't often need to do so, because
as I said, most people aren't too assertive of that /right/ if asked
nicely by someone trying to answer their posted question at the same time.

Of course it sometimes gets a longer discussion going too or instead, as
it did here.