There shouldn't be an rsh process running. xinetd starts it when a user connects.

The best way to troubleshoot xinetd problems is to start xinetd in debugging mode.

xinetd -d

If you see that the servive started then you can do a netstat -ap and look for the service name in there (shell/login/exec for rsh/rlogin/ rexec). Once there you should be good to go =)