Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
> I would like the deployment and maintenance to be done as easily as
> possible because this project needs to be scalable to more than 100
> servers. Although we are going to install only 10 servers in the
> beginning, my boss says that I should be prepared for this number to
> grow.

Good plan.

> Yesterday I found about the SCIRE project that seems to solve my
> problems easily. But it seems that the project's development is
> stopped. Unfortunately, I don't know a thing of Phyton, so I can't
> help. Do anyone know how is the project going? Are we going to have a
> production usable release? If so, when? It's not like I'm pushing
> anything, I just want to know if I can count on it or not.
>
> Setting the project aside, I'm thinking about developing my own
> installer to install a catalyst's stage4 and reboot a working Gentoo.
> After that I'm thinking about using emerge with binary packages to
> install updates automatically. What do you think? Will it work? Is it
> possible to rollback an update if something goes wrong?

If you're just looking for an installer, check out quickstart --
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-installer/msg_01300.xml and
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061218-newsletter.xml#doc_chap2 have
some details, and you can get a copy at http://agaffney.org/quickstart/
. It was designed for automated rollouts. (When reading, GLI = Gentoo
Linux Installer.)

The SCIRE code is available at
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gimli/scire/ and there is a
gentoo-scire mailing list, which would be a better place to ask
questions about it.

Thanks,
Donnie

P.S. -- In the future, do not post to two subscriber-only lists, because
almost nobody can reply to both.