Bryan Green writes:
> Hello,
>
> Now that I am using empi/eselect-mpi, I would like to install boost-1.35.0
> with its MPI library (it has an 'mpi' use flag).
> When I try to emerge it, it trys to pull in sys-cluster/openmpi as a
> dependency.  I tried adding sys-cluster/openmpi to
> /etc/portage/package.provided, but for some reason that does not work.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get boost-mpi to build against my eselected
> MPI?  I also wonder if it would really be necessary build a version of boost
> for each MPI package installed, using 'empi --add ...'.  That seems like
> overkill.

Having added openmpi to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided,
I can emerge boost with mpi, but the mpi autodetect fails during the
compilation with this message:

MPI auto-detection failed: unknown wrapper compiler mpic++

The same occurs if I run 'ebuild ... compile'.
But if I run the same command as root from the resulting /var/tmp/.../work
directory, the detection is successful.

Any ideas what might be going on here?  What part of the ebuild environment
changes such that it does not see mpic++ anymore?

-bryan