Phil Richards wrote:

> On 2004-02-06, I wrote:
> >  Of course, what you *really* want is to do a 3-way merge involving
> >  the "new install" config file, the "previous install" config file, and
> >  the actual config file that the user has determined they want.
>
> And, I should have added, that cfg-update quite possibly does it already.
>
> However, I remain of the opinion (even though I am a ~x86 user) that I
> will not use cfg-update until it is more "official" - etc-update has its
> limitations, but if it goes wrong the main gentoo developers will notice
> pretty darn quick and fix it :-)

FWIW, this is my /etc/etc-update.conf.  It's a huge improvement on the
default settings (if you're using X11).  I haven't tried cfg-update
yet, so can't compare to it.

    jogger-egg ~> sed -e s/#.\*// -e /^\$/d /etc/etc-update.conf
    mode="0"
    eu_automerge="yes"
    rm_opts="-f"
    mv_opts=""
    cp_opts=""
    pager="less"
    diff_command="diff -uN %file1 %file2"
    using_editor=0
    merge_command="sdiff -s -o %merged %orig %new"
    pager=""
    diff_command="xxdiff %file1 %file2"
    merge_command="xxdiff -M %merged %old %new"
    jogger-egg ~>

When I look at the files in xxdiff, I either decide to accept the
new one and quit, or decide to merge in xxdiff, and "save as left",
overwriting the original.

It works for me, it was quick to set up, and it might be useful
to someone.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]