I'm using the xmerge idea that was posted online, but I've noticed
something I found quite odd:

after emerging a toolchain w/ crossdev, and then using xmerge to build /
install packages, I noticed that $SYSROOT/lib and $SYSROOT/usr/lib were
linked to /usr/<toolchain>/lib and /usr/<toolchain>/usr/lib, respectively.

ls -la $SYSROOT/ $SYSROOT/usr/ | grep "lib"

lib -> ../usr/arm-9tdmi-linux-gnu/lib
lib -> ../../usr/arm-9tdmi-linux-gnu/usr/lib

It affects me quite badly in particular because I have been working on a
build system that is intended to support multiple target architectures,
multiple configurations for each target, as well as multiple profiles
for each configuration. (configurations could be client-specific, and
profiles are 'package.{use,keyword}' variant, for instance 'stable',
'devel').

Does anyone know why the libraries are set up in this manner, and not
just copied as one would expect to legitimate directories? I appreciate
that it makes cross-compilation much easier, however, wouldn't the
proper handling of it be to actually copy the files to their intended
directories (maybe add another -L / -I option in to <arch>-gcc commands?)

How would I go about fixing this? Is this something deeply engrained in Portage?

~/Chris