On Friday 26 January 2007 20:08, Brett Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:30:56PM -0300, Mauro Maroni wrote:
> > I am not 100% sure but I believe udev had
> > been updated a couple of days before and the problem occured after that.
>
> If you would like to confirm if udev did get upgraded,

Confirmed. Udev was upgraded last december from 0.8x to 1.0.3.
This was the first time the machine have rebooted since December.
And I also found similar "udevd breakpoint" messages on /var/log/messages some
minutes after that upgrade.

> If you feel (or confirm) that the problem is related to udev, you may
> want to back down to the previous version you had installed. Hopefully
> it's still in the tree.

Well, the problem now is that the CD I had does not detect the network card,
even modprobing the tulip module manually. So no card, no emerge...
It is an old CD (2004.2) so now I am downloading a newer image (2006.1).
I hope it works with it.

> > I also noticed that it only can see the root partition (in read-only
> > mode of course), but /boot (/dev/sda4) and /mnt/disk2 (/dev/sdb1) both
> > shows as if they were empty (ls shows nothing inside them)
>
> Can you see the other partitions when booting off the CD? Before you
> enter the chroot environment above, make sure you mount all your
> partitions as you did during the install. Hopefully you can see the data
> and the other partitions. If not it sounds like you have may have some
> drive corruption.

The partitions are OK.

> Good luck!

Thanks. I just found in Google that a Debian user had a similar problem and
had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.17. I will try that once I get the
image....and the network card working :-)

> Brett

Regards,
Mauro