The Gentoo box I'm nearest to isn't very up to date, but the most current version of Ardour on it doesn't seem to have USE flags for vst and coremidi. In which case the OP would have to do something like `ebuild unpack /path/to/ardour.ebuild` configure manually and then `ebuild install /path/to/ardour.ebuild`.

Stroller.