Maybe you can make the first version of $(prefix [package]) function in
that case.  It should return the prefix that was used when installing
package, or when no package given, the default prefix, so it can be used
also in --with-xxxxx=$(prefix xxxxxx)/usr/bin/xxxxxx or something.

There has been some discussions on this issue on this list before.  Not
sure if I reword the idea correctly.

Here's my initial stab at one.  Don't know if I completely understood the fcn
you had in mind with $(prefix [package]), if not. please explain.

inherit eutils

# EXPORTED FUNCTION - FOR USE IN EBUILDS
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Adds EPREFIX to the parameter, it will check to see if prefix is
# already added
#
# @param    $1 - directory path to add EPREFIX
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------

function prefix () {
   local dir="$1"

   ## check for already existing prefix
   if [ "${dir}" != "$(strip_prefix ${dir})" ]; then
       ewarn "${dir} is already prefixed"
   else
       ## make sure only one "/"
       if [ "${dir:0:1}" = "/" ]; then
           dir=${EPREFIX}${dir}
       else
           dir=${EPREFIX}/${dir}
       fi
       echo "${dir}"
   fi
}

# Strips EPREFIX from the parameter.
#
# @param    $1 - directory path to remove prefix
#
function strip_prefix () {
   local dir="$1"

   echo "${dir}" | sed -e "s:^${EPREFIX}::"
}